Sunday 14 November 2010

British I WW Staff Car


I knew I could not resist the temptation as soon as  I saw the model in Sidney Roundwood's blog. So I retraced his steps and here I have today my British Army command car ready to go into action.


The model is a Matchbox 1914 Prince Henry Vauxhall,  slightly larger than the standard 1/56 scale we use for 28mm minis vehilces, but I'm sure it won´t be noticed once on the table. I bought in Ebay for 3 pounds and saw there was plenty of supply of these and other models (by the way, now looking for similar stuff but this time for my Germans; a Daimler 1910s model will probably make it).



I had to paint with black spray first, as the my acrylic paints did not hold well on the satin finished colours of the original model. I then applied a mixed Vallejo US Dark Green (893) + matt black, and then dry brused intensively with the same green colour mixed with dark yellow. The final part was to weather the whole model with dark brown and USA Tan earth (874) using dry brush techniques, adding some stains in red brown.

The seats were painted Vallejo Mahogany Brown (846),  highlighted with Orange Brown (981). For the canvas cover I used Iraqui Sand (819) washed with dark brown.

The driver is from a Sloppy Jalopy's  "Civilian Drivers and Passegers" set (the chauffer model) conveniently disguised as British Tommy soldier and officer's assistant.




Some views of the final model






3 comments:

  1. Wow...you've done a really fantastic job on this! The seats are really brought out nicely. I left mine too dark. The driver definately looks the part, doesn't he? There are loads of those Matchbox cars floating around Ebay for next to nothing, especially the ones which don't come with their box. I picked up a few to do some "Marne Taxis" at some point when I get around to doing the French!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks bloody great!!!! Excellent !!
    What scale is it...what car did you use (I know you used a matchbox one but which one???
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...my browser sometimes messes me about...it just loaded your complete post..befoer was only the pics of the car on the book...now everything has appeared. The idea I could use for my 1/72nd WWI stuff....;-)
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete